Northarvest-Final-Revised_01

[print this page]

Market News From Mexico
December 20, 2002

NDBC MEXICO MONTHLY REPORT NOVEMBER 2002

 

Zacatecas comments: SAGARPA has started to update their bean production figures down. They stated that due to the lack of rainfall in September, bean production will be damaged. Pods didnt develop as they should (very narrow), and have less grains than the expected. Zacatecas is not expecting more than 330,000 MT of beans this year because of this situation. Zacatecas bean growers have started to cut their fields.

 

Bean trade has started and prices are at $6.00 to $7.00 pesos per kilo for black beans and $6.00 pesos per kilo for Clear beans. Spotted clear beans (from the irrigated crop), are being traded at around $5.00 pesos per kilo

 

Durango comments: Durango is expecting a good crop. Production is estimated at 128,000 MT with yield of over 1 MT per hectare in many areas. No frosts are expected in this area. Harvesting season will start late October early November due to the late planting in this state.

 

Chihuahua Comments: Very bad news for the Chihuahua Crop. Chihuahua Beans didnt get any water during September. This is expected to cause total damage in 30 percent of the planted surface and partial damage in the remaining 70 percent due to the lack of water in the growing cycle. total production is expected to be at 50,000 MT, but almost all of those beans will be consumed by themselves since their local consumption is estimated in 45,000 MT, very little will be left for the other markets.

 

2002 SPRING-SUMMER CYCLE BEAN CROP FORECAST

 

 

NDBC Disclaimer: In the following section the NDBC Mexico office analyzes dry bean prices from SNIM reports. In addition the NDBC Mexico office place calls to the Mexican trade to complement the information.  The NDBC will not be responsible for third party transactions based on this report.

 

CENTRAL MARKETS PRICE AND MOVEMENT ANALYSIS BY NDBC

 

Bean sales at Mexico City Central Market are starting to move up, as the beans from the new crop start arriving in the market. New beans at better prices are moving faster and bean wholesalers feel much better in comparison with the past months. They also feel that the colder weather will increase bean consumption. It is not the same for Guadalajara and Monterrey, they still have a slow and depressed market. They are waiting for the new crop from Zacatecas and Durango, hoping for better bean sales. They stated that low prices are discouraging for small groceries stores, and they are not buying big volumes since six or more months ago.  Nevertheless, prices are expected to raise as the new beans start arriving to the marketplace.

 

Bean prices registered a decrease  of around 10-15 percent in general. US Cranberry Beans (Cacahuate Bola) price at $15.50 pesos per kilo, still the highest priced in the Mexican market, although these dropped from $16.00 pesos per kilo this month. Garbancillo beans were at $14.50 pesos per kilo and Cacahuate Largo beans from Hidalgo state at $13.00 pesos, now these are at around $11.00 pesos per kilo. Flor de Mayo and Flor de Junio beans dropped from $10.50 pesos per kilo to $9.50 pesos per kilo.

 

US Black Beans were last month at $12.00 in Monterrey and at $10.50 pesos per kilo in Mexico City, now these are at $10.00 pesos per kilo. Prices of local black beans varieties, are at around $9.00 pesos per kilo. US Black beans registered a price decrease of 10% average.

 

US Pinto Beans: Average price of imported pintos continue at $10.50 pesos per kilo average. While  Bayo Beans dropped from $11.00 to $9.00 pesos per kilo average.

 

Mayocoba, Azufrado and Peruano Beans have dropped to $9.00 pesos per kilo average.


 

Other Headlines

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust
 

 

Northarvest Bean Growers Association | 50072 East Lake Seven Road | Frazee, MN 56544
Ph: 218-334-6351 | Fax: 218-334-6360 | Email: nhbean@loretel.net